Wednesday 12 December 2012

Second crash drama for hero engineer

Engineer Scott Wavell sprang into action after an elderly woman was knocked down by a truck outside Dyserth telephone exchange in Wales, using first aid skills he gained in the army to tend to the victim.

And it was a case of déjà vu for Scott, as six years ago he tended another woman injured in a road accident.

Scott, who served in the army for nine years as a vehicle mechanic before joining Openreach in 1997, said: “In this latest incident I drove into the road and saw a woman waving her arms at the rear of the truck and realised something was wrong.

Hero engineer Scott Wavell
“I immediately stopped, grabbed my first aid kit and ran over and saw a woman aged about 65 lying face down on the ground and barely conscious.

“Some people were trying to move her to get her off the wet road but I realised this was the wrong thing to do so I kept them away from her and tried to ensure people remained calm.

“It took around 20 minutes for an ambulance to arrive and, during that time, I kept a phone line open to the ambulance service and stayed by the woman’s side.

“She lost consciousness after about five minutes but we managed to rouse her.

“The police and ambulance crew arrived and took over and the paramedics spent more than an hour stabilising the woman at the scene before taking her to hospital.

“I didn’t do a lot – it was just a case of remaining calm, which wasn’t a problem for me after my military career, including serving in the Gulf War. But I must be jinxed for this to happen to me twice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment